Friday, June 11, 2010

Going to Ireland

I thought I would give you some information on my upcoming 30 day trip to Ireland with my best friend Megan. Megan was born in Ireland and moved here to the US when she was 10. She is 18 now too. We have been best friends for the last two years and her dream has been to go back home and visit her grandparents, so we came up with this idea of going to Ireland back in December of last year as a sort of getaway before college.

It's been a long 6 months of planning, getting money together, and getting all the reservations placed, but we are finally ready and all plans are set in stone. We were thinking of cancelling this trip when the ash clouds started making traveling by plane impossible, but all seems okay right now.

We leave for Dublin in two more weeks! Woohoo! Megan's grandma lives in Dublin and we are going to stay with her for the first week of our trip. We have a car reserved and waiting on us so we can go where we want. After the first week, we leave by car to Dingle, which is in the southwest corner of the island. We have a townhouse reserved in Dingle which is located overlooking the water on Dingle Bay. The place is supposed to be one of the best places to stay in Dingle as it's like a three room condo with all the goodies, two stories, fireplace, full kitchen, and so on. We got a great price on the place and it's been paid in full by our families.

After Dingle, we leave to just drive around the next week exploring the island and seeing the many castles and other places we want to see. We plan on spending a lot of time shopping too! We love to shop!

Once we get back to Dublin again, we will be staying with Megan's grandma again for a few nights, then we are headed to Belfast in northern Ireland to visit Megan's grandpa. We are going with Megan's aunt and uncle to Belfast and stay at her grandpa's for a couple days, touring the many places we want to see in that part of Ireland.

I plan on updating my blog while we are on our trip, but I can't guarantee an everyday blog. We will make an effort to make that happen though. My laptop will be making the trip so I do plan on updating when I can and able to.

Happy trails!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Megs!

    The countdown has offically begun. Woohoo! I never thought we would ever get to this point. I'm ready to go now, how about you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I were going. You two have a great time and bring me a gift too. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Muffin!

    A gift? Like what? How about a box of Lucky Charms? LOL You want one of those nomes maybe? I saw one in a brochure you might like. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you good luck.I would like to visit Southern Ireland.My great-grandparents came Ireland back in the late 1890's.They owned a bar in South Baltimore.Good luck on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michael!

    Thanks for the well wishes for our trip. From what I have seen in brochures and old photos that Megan has, the place looks like a fun place.

    Happy trails!

    ReplyDelete