Monday, April 5, 2010

Rabbits: World Total

"How many rabbits are there in the world," asked a friend of mine?

That's a good question and I had no idea when this was asked of me last month by one of my curious friends. All I said was millions. I got to thinking about it more and decided to do some research on it and it has not been easy finding out the true number. I really don't think anyone knows the true total except the one who created them all, being many are in the wild and we don't keep track of them all.

From what I have found out so far, rabbits range from 20 to 500 individual species per square mile. The land area of the Earth is 57,500,000 square miles. Being no one really knows the exact number of rabbits per square mile, you can do the math above and see that there are more than most would have ever known about, including me, even if there were only 20 per square mile. That's alot of rabbits! Being rabbits do not populate the polar regions of the Earth, the land area would be reduced dramically, but still, that is alot of rabbits even without the polar regions included.

Now you know, or atleast to the best of my research and knowledge you do. lol

Happy trails!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a lot of stew. I'm just kidding. lol

    Being you love rabbits so much and care for them, have you ever had rabbit stew? I was just wondering being most conservatives who take care of rabbits have had it atleast once in the lives. If you care not to answer, I would understand you decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I have had rabbit stew and I love it. I may care for them but I love to eat them too when given the chance. Stew is made from wild rabbits that are hunted, not domestic rabbits. There is a difference in the two.

    Thanks for the comment.
    Happy trails!

    ReplyDelete